1. Where were black children educated in early nineteenth-century Massachusetts?
2. What educational inequities did black children face in Massachusetts?
3. How did African American communities challenge these inequities?
4. Who were some of the key individuals involved in the struggle to desegregate Massachusetts schools?
5. What influence did the Roberts v. The City of Boston case have on later U.S. Supreme Court decisions?
"Legislature Guarantees Access to Public Schools"
Nantucketís African American citizens desegregate the islandís schools.
"Supreme Court Strikes Down "Separate but Equal""
Bostonís African American community worked for decades to desegregate the cityís schools.
"Charlotte Forten Enters Salem Normal School"
Forten was the first black student at the school established to train teachers.